You are here
Bass Fishing Tournament Rules & Regulations
Fort Ritchie Community Center Bass Fishing Tournament Rules and Regulations
WARNING: ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE EXPECTED TO FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES SET FORTH BY THE STATE OF MARYLAND REGARDING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC INCLUDING SOCIAL DISTANCING AND FACE COVERINGS WHEN APPROPRIATE. The Spring Tournament was canceled for 2020 due to COVID-19.
PARTICIPANTS AND ELIGIBILITY:
• All PARTICIPANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO HAVE A MARYLAND FISHING LICENSE. The Community Center is not responsible for any fines or other issues associated with a participant not following state guidelines.
Participation is open to all ages upon completion, submission and acceptance of the official entry form and payment in full has been received. Payments may be made at Fort Ritchie Community Center (“FRCC”) via cash, credit card, check or money order made out to “Fort Ritchie Community Center”. FRCC will accept all registrations, whether in person, by mail, or by phone (credit card payment only if by phone), on a first-come, first-served basis until each tournament is full.
• Each Angler is responsible for completing the Official Entry Form and signing the Release of Liability tournament affidavit. No Angler may fish without completion of both.
• All materials submitted, unless noted otherwise, become the property of the Fort Ritchie Community Center.
*By your registration and participation in the FRCC’s Annual Bass Fishing Tournament you grant FRCC rights for use of name, age, and photo for the purpose of promotion and media exposure.
• Any falsification of information provided by the registered angler or failure to comply with these rules will lead to disqualification.
• Anglers under the age of 17 may participate with signed permission from their parent or guardian. An adult over the age of 18 must supervise such child for the entire tournament.
2. GENERAL: Interpretation of these rules shall be left exclusively to the Tournament Committee. In the event of a rule violation, the Tournament Committee may impose such sanctions as deemed appropriate including but not limited to disqualification, forfeiture of prizes, forfeiture of entry fee and prohibition from participation in subsequent tournaments. The decision of the Tournament Committee is final in all matters.
• Open to the first 60 registered anglers per event. Payment must be made at the time of registration.
4. ENTRY FEE:
• Entry fee is $25 per adult and $10 per youth angler per event (17 and under)
• An Angler may register for both events.
• Entry fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
• Safety will be observed at all times. A safety violation during the competition will result in disqualification.
• In the event of adverse weather the Tournament Committee may place a weather hold or postpone the event.
• Anglers may fish anywhere on the shore, except within 50 feet of the dam.
• All Anglers are expected to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, safety, and conservation.
• Any Angler who displays poor sportsmanship, violates these rules or brings unfavorable publicity to the sport of bass fishing will be disqualified.
• Any act or inflammatory statement by any Angler that, in the opinion of the Tournament Committee, is detrimental to the operation of Tournament, damaging to the Tournament, to the Fort Ritchie Community Center, Washington County, their agents, officers, sponsors and employees, during or after the Tournament will result in disqualification and / or permanent suspension from all future FRCC Bass Fishing Tournaments.
8. MARYLAND FISHING REGULATIONS:
Fishing License is required. Catch and Release Only. State and Federal laws are to be followed at all times.
9. PARKING: No parking on the grass.
10. FISHING, TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT:
• Fish must be caught by the individual listed as the Registered Angler. Only Registered Anglers can fish.
• All fish must be caught in a sporting manner.
• Snagging of fish is NOT allowed.
• Only artificial lures may be used.
• Liquid fish attractants are not allowed.
• Organic bait (worms, insects, grubs, nymph eggs, etc) and foods (cheese, dough corn, etc.) are not authorized. The use of minnows for bait is strictly prohibited.
• Only one (1) rod per Angler may be used. A second rod may be ready for use; however every cast and retrieval must be completed before another cast is made.
• No Angler shall fish closer than 3 paces or 10 feet from another Angler unless agreed.
• There is no restriction where an Angler can cast, except within 50 feet of the dam, however the Angler with his line in the water first has the right-of-way.
• For consideration in the Longest Fish Contest, fish must be alive and immediately reported to the Tournament Committee.
• Snagging fish, spears, nets, traps, setlines and trotlines are prohibited. A hand net is authorized to land hooked fish.
• Do not attempt to feed fish by throwing material or anything that resembles fish food into the lake (i.e. chumming).
• No one may possess more than 5 fish at any given time during each event.
• A Tournament Committee Member will measure the fish.
• Anglers are requested to take great care in returning their catch to the water so as not to injure the fish.
• Anglers are required to police their areas and pack out their trash. Fish and fish parts are not to be left on the bank.
• All fishing must be done from the shore.
11. CULLING FISH:
• You cannot cull a dead fish.
12. PERMITTED FISHING WATERS: Fishing is only permitted in Lake Royer (Lower Lake). Fishing in Lake Wastler (Upper Lake) is prohibited.
• To be eligible for prizes you must be a registered Angler in the FRCC Bass Fishing Tournament.
• Each winning entry is validated by the Tournament Director and all decisions are final.
• Longest Bass. If two Anglers have the same length of fish; prize will be split.
• All prize money may be subject to both state/provincial and federal taxes. Fort Ritchie Community Center assumes no responsibility for failure to adequately report your winnings.
• The official measuring board for the FRCC Bass Fishing Tournaments is the Golden Rule (flat board).
• Only Largemouth or Smallmouth Bass are eligible to be measured for prizes.
• There is no limit to the number of fish an individual can measure.
• All Bass will be measured on the Golden Rule used by the Tournament Committee, with the mouth closed and tail compressed.
• Dead bass may not be measured.
• In the event the Tournament has to be postponed due to weather or unforeseen events it will be
rescheduled until completion.
• All fishing areas are off-limits to motorized vehicles except for security, law enforcement or other vehicle authorized
• Use of illegal drugs.
• Any unsafe act to endanger life, limb, or property.
• Possession of any weapons.
• Permitting domestic animals (dogs, cats, horses, sheep, cattle, hogs, etc.) to roam on the property.
• Swimming and wading to fish are prohibited.
• Driving vehicles anywhere other than on paved roads. Violators may be disqualified.
• Camping on Fort Ritchie.
• Littering or disposing of refuse except in receptacles provided for that purpose.